November 17, 2011

Musica per parole, Olivetti method for Letter 22

Here the english translation of my article appeared on Inutile Magazine web site

In 2007 MTV Italia presented again a contest that at the end of the '90s excited my home town, Pordenone, the italian capital of independent music since the days of Great Complotto, and the city with the highest concentration of nerds (Devo always stop here for a concert). To participate was sufficient to send a self timer picture with the favorite record in the hands. The citizens of Pordenone who participated chose amazing rarities and were all selected (at least the ones I knew personally). I did not send a picture because I was shy and insecure and I could not find the right Lp to represent me. Now I've finally found it, even if ten years too late. It is Musica per parole, sound tipyng manual for the mythical Olivetti Lettera 22. A work of graphic and sound (!!!) design with all the warmth that only true poetry can give to what is close to perfection. The exercises were dictated by the writer Mario Soldati will be music for your ears as well! (For an extract from the LP and to learn more about Olivetti company listen: Passioni, RaiRadio3, Adriano Olivetti: progettare per vivere, second episode ).

[Musica per parole,
Olivetti method for Letter 22, 33 rpm Lp with dictation exercises read by Mario Soldati, Olivetti SpA, Ivrea, 1959.]

No comments:

Post a Comment